Dr. T Merrell Williams Performs Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique in Tampa and Wesley Chapel, Florida
Gum recession breakthrough treatment also known as Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation™ and Lunchtime Gum Lift™
The Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique (PST®), invented and patented by John Chao, D.D.S., is a scalpel-free, suture-free procedure for treating gum recession.
This procedure is performed by making a small hole with a needle in the gum tissue. Using specially designed instruments, the gum tissue is loosened and guided over the receded part of the tooth. Since there is no incision or suturing, patients can expect minimal post-operative symptoms (pain, swelling and bleeding). Most patients also are pleasantly surprised by the instant cosmetic improvement.
To learn more about the Pinhole® Surgical Technique, please contact our office. Dr. Williams welcomes patients from Wesley Chapel, Lutz, Land O' Lakes, Tampa, Temple Terrace and nearby locations.
Call Today: (813) 354-8707
Before & After Gallery
In the News
Frequently Asked Questions
What is gum recession?
Gum recession refers to the loss of gum tissue along the gumline. This can occur as a result of periodontal disease (gingivitis, periodontitis, advanced periodontitis), the natural aging process, or abrasive habits when it comes to brushing the teeth.
Why should gum recession be taken seriously?
When gum recession occurs, the root structure of the tooth becomes exposed. This means that tooth decay and other problems can affect the teeth along the gumline and beneath it. Since healthy gums are essential for a healthy mouth, getting gum recession treated is important for lasting dental wellness.
What is Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique?
The Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique is a minimally invasive option for treating gum recession. Unlike traditional grafting techniques, PST is scalpel and suture free.
All of the tools and techniques used to perform the Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique were created by Dr. John Chao.
How does Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique differ from traditional gum grafting?
Traditional gum recession treatments involve the use of donor tissue or soft tissue grafts in order to rebuild the gumline. This soft tissue would be sutured in place and would join with existing gum tissue as it healed. While this traditional grafting treatment is effective, comparable results with better patient experience can be achieved through the Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique.
How is Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique performed?
During the Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique, a needle is used to make a small hole in the patient's existing gum tissue. Through this pinhole, special instruments are used to gently loosen the gum tissue. These tools help expand and slide the gumline to cover the exposed root structure. There are no grafts, no sutures, and no incisions needed with the Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique. It simply involves the adjustment of the existing tissue.
What are the benefits of Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique?
The benefits of the Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique are many:
- Less Discomfort for the patient after treatment.
- Faster recovery for the patient than traditional grafting.
- No need for uncomfortable sutures.
- No need for scalpels or invasive surgical tools.
- No need to take donor tissue from the patients palate.
- Excellent, natural-looking, long-lasting results.
Meet T. Merrell Williams, DMD, MS
Certified Pinhole Surgical Technique Periodontist Tampa and Wesley Chapel, FL
"Our mission is to provide the very best dental care in a comfortable atmosphere, with an emphasis on personal attention. The dental field is constantly evolving and there are so many options available to make treatment faster, easier and pain-free. My goal is to create a properly functioning, healthy and beautiful smile."
Credentials that inspire trust
- Board-Certified: American Board of Periodontology
- DMD: University of Florida College of Dentistry, Gainesville, FL Certificate: Periodontology, University of Missouri Kansas City School of Dentistry, Kansas City, MO
- MS: Oral Biology, University of Missouri Kansas City School of Dentistry, Kansas City, MO
- Clinical Assistant Professor: University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Honors: Omicron Kappa Upsilon Dental Honor Society
- Member: American Academy of Periodontology, American Academy of Implant Dentistry, American Dental Association, National Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, West Coast Dental Association, Tampa Bay Area Dental Association, Tampa Bay Periodontal Association, Hillsborough County Dental Association, Hillsborough County Dental Research Clinic
When Dr. Williams is not caring for patients, he enjoys traveling, teaching and spending time with his family. He also supports those who are less fortunate by participating in dental mission trips around the world to provide free dental care.